What is it that successful individuals have that make them so efficacious and assertive? What is it that keeps them producing greatness and how does it seem they automatically have that business mindset of never losing? It seems they have some type of internal drive that allows them to persist no matter how much fear they are facing. Now here is the real question, is this characteristic only given to them or is it something we all can adapt?
I believe in living by the familiar catch phrase, “Fake it til you make it”. For those of you that are not as open minded, it doesn’t mean being “fake” or pretending to be something you’re not in a jealous act, it merely means allowing your inner expectations and beliefs to build your confidence. Having limited prior experience in my current occupation, I can definitely relate to this means of imitating confidence. The first time I went out to do a marketing presentation my anxiety got so bad I started sweating and you could see the redness in my face. I thought about what my boss told me, she said “In order for you to get over your fears you must face them.” With that thought in mind it hit me; these people don’t know me from a can of paint, for all they know I could be the best marketing rep in the District. Taking the little knowledge I did have with a tad bit of charm added, I built up my confidence and decided that I would give them the best presentation they’d ever had. From that point on every time I was faced with a situation instead of thinking of the worst, I actually began to believe in my mind that I could do it.
To be honest, “faking it til you make it” is one of the main factors that lead to success. Let’s refer to one of my favorite Eddie Murphy movies, “The Distinguished Gentleman”. He faked it til he made it all the way to the Congressman’s seat! Although that’s just a movie, the power of the mind has so much to do with achieving your success. “So a man thinketh, so he shall be”, and this quote is so very true. Think about it, you never really know your strength until you are put in a situation where you have no choice. Being in this type of dilemma sets your mindset to a state where you can face any fear of failure. Most of the time when we mentally know we have no choice but to make it happen, we do so; whereas if we know we have a cushion we will be more lax in the situation. Bringing forth the famous Jay-Z saying, “I WILL NOT LOSE!”
Listed below are a few “Fake it til you make” tips that should help you along your journey to success.
1) Having self-confidence is the number one rule. You have to find it within yourself to speak, act and think in a confident way. Taking action is the first step in building your self-confidence. The ability to work on something and actually get it done is what gives you the feel of accomplishment. “Nothing builds self-esteem and self-confidence like accomplishment”.-Thomas Carlyle
2) Dressing the part. Even if you only have $5 in your pocket, the key is for no one to actually know that but you! When you dress like success you welcome success. Believe it or not people will respect a clean cut, well groomed person that looks like they know what they are talking about versus someone that looks like they’ve been in the streets. Appearance is everything.
3) You are who you hang with. A wise man once told me if you are the smartest person in the room get out! Try socializing with those who share common interest or those who are of what you are aiming to be. Take mental notes during conversations and make yourself known. Even if no one knew who you were when you got there, they should know who you are before you leave.
4) Time investment: During your spare time you should be polishing up on your act. Getting as much information as you can via internet or through Success magazines. “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen Covey is also a good book to check out. NTS: If there is something you don’t know, take the initiative to find out, do your research.
5) Speak it into existence! Instead of looking at it as fear, you have to look at it as an opportunity. Know and believe that you have the ability to handle whatever comes your way.
“The world has the habit of making room for the man whose words and actions show that he knows where he is going”-Napoleon Hill