Trendsetta: FLOTUS Style For The Holidays
In honor of the Election and our first family, this post is inspired by our First Lady’s class and style. We’ll show you how you can get the look for this year’s fall and holiday get togethers.
The materials, the hem-length, the attention to the silhouette, all of these are important in pulling off a First Lady Michelle Obama look. I found several pieces that cater to all budgets and most shapes. Remember the little details as well, including cardigan sweaters, thin belts to synch the waist, and the broach! Don’t overdo jewelry; keep it simple and clean as the First Lady does.
I chose the Tracy Reese dress that Mrs. Obama wore during the Democratic National Convention this year to be the base for our inspiration. The fashion world was in awe of the gorgeous color and print on our First Lady. What made the moment even more special was that the designer is an African American woman and fashion designer from Detroit, Michigan.
1) If you want more of Tracy Reese, check out this light and floral dress she made with nod to the dress the First Lady wore. This dress, priced at $298 can be matched with a mint colored cardigan for those daytime parties over the holiday season. This dress can also carry over into spring. If you want to get this look, the dress is only available in limited quantities.
2) Also inspired by the Tracy Reese dress is this J. Crew garment, another brand that Michelle Obama loves to wear. This dress is her all day: floral, sheath style, sleeveless and just above the knee. For $238 you can wear this to Thanksgiving dinner with simple pearls and color block or nude heels.
3) For the night-time events, a nice dress with a good color and texture bring warmth to your holiday look. You can’t go wrong with black and the lace-like belted dress with an A-line skirt is a gem all by itself and for $60 by Nine Co. at JCPenney, it’s a steal.
4) For the shorter and/or younger FLOTUS fans, you can wear a dress like this one by Tracy Reese. With the jewel tones and stone embellishments on the shoulders and collar, there’s not much else to add to the look: it’s simple and clean. The hem is a little higher above the knee which is great for the party girls who still want to look refined. The pleats give it a full look at the bottom as well. You can get this dress for $398.
5) This Lauren by Ralph Lauren number is perfect for the holidays. The material is stretch satin and it has knife pleats at the waist to help contour the body. The neckline also is a nod to our First Lady’s demure and sophisticated style. This dress, priced at $180, would go well with a fitted wool coat. Surprise your guests with the gorgeous red underneath at the holiday parties.
6) For the full figured woman there are jewel tones and geometric lines to fit your shape. This dress by Studio 1 for JCPenney is sleeveless, belted and also at the knee. Although Michelle Obama is a tall woman, you can take this dress up a notch with gorgeous patent black pumps or slingbacks with emphasis on the heel’s height. This dress is a great deal at $45 to achieve your ode to FLOTUS look for the holidays.