My good friend told me that her female co-worker said she wanted a wife. I was a bit confused at first, but then she broke it down for me and it made perfect sense. A wife (traditionally speaking) is supposed to:
- Cook (breakfast, lunch & dinner)
- Clean (the whole house, not just the areas you can’t close the door to)
- Take care of the kids (Whose idea was it to have these kids anyway?)
- Do Laundry (wash, dry, fold, iron & put away)
- Tend to the garden (Garden?? HA)
And a whole plethora of other things
Shoot! I work outside of the home. I don’t have time to do all of that, the right way, all the time. But if I had a wife…IJS (I’m Just Saying)
As a working wife and mother you are always on the job. You start your day working in the home by getting your family ready for their day, and off to school and work. You then put in 8 hours with your employer; and return home to put in another 4 – 6 hours of work taking care of your family (see all the traditional stuff listed above). And THEN, you have to put in “work” with your husband by bringing out his mistress…who has the time and energy for all of that?
The best thing you can do to keep your sanity is get organized and get some help. Here are a few tips to help you get started.
- Get the Cozi Family Organizer app. This app so ROCKS! You can keep your family calendar, shopping list, to do list and journal all in one place.
- Plan your week. You will be amazed at the amount of time you will save by getting everyone’s clothes ready on Sunday and planning your menu for the week. You can even go ahead and prep items that will keep in the fridge or freezer for your weekly meals.
- Get a housekeeper. I don’t want to hear, “I can’t afford it.” Have someone come in once a month or every two weeks to give your home a good cleaning. I’m sure if you did some research, you’ll find that you spend $75 – $200/mo easily on Starbucks, eating out for lunch, the vending machine and lottery tickets. Take that money and get your house cleaned. It will be some of the best money you will ever spend.
- Clean out your closets, cabinets, drawers and all other nooks and crannies. How much time do you spend going through the same stuff over and over again because nothing is where it’s supposed to be? Take a weekend and get some Spring Cleaning done. There’s no telling what jewels (or critters) you’ll find tucked away in the back of your closet.
- Get the whole family involved. Your husband and kids will not shrivel up and die if you assign them certain chores around the house. They may whine and complain, but they’ll get over it and get it done.
I’ve found that I value the time spent with my husband and kids. When I take the time to plan on the front end, I have a lot more quality time with them throughout the week.
Sweetener for Your Mocha: You are not required to be superwoman. Your home doesn’t have to be spotless every moment of the day and you don’t have to whip up a four course meal every day to be a great wife and mom. It’s even ok if you send your kids out of the house in wrinkled clothes sometimes (smile).