There’s No Time: 6 Suggestions for ME time
I know we all love our kids unconditionally and we would never trade them for anything…right? I hope that is the case for everyone. Nonetheless, once kids come into your world, your time is no longer yours…it’s theirs…and now you have to borrow some of your own time for you. As couples with kids, it’s very important that you manage time wisely. Otherwise, you may find yourself not having enough time to even think.
Scenario: When you wake up in the morning, you are focused on getting the kids ready for school or daycare…then work…then picking up kids in the afternoon…then homework/after-school activities…then dinner…then bedtime.
By this time, you are probably tired both mentally and physically. Guess what? You’re not done yet. You have a spouse that you can’t forget about. Your spouse needs some time also and you must give that time and attention or else (that’s another topic).
From the scenario I just told you about, there doesn’t appear to be much time dedicated for self. While it may appear that way, there are time gaps throughout the day you can squeeze in just for yourself to reflect, relax, and recharge. Below are some time slots during the day where you can squeeze in some “reflect, relax, and recharge” time.
- When your eyes open in the morning. Wake up 20-30 minutes before you need to wake the kids and meditate
- The drive to work. Great time to reflect…but only with the radio off
- Lunch. Spend some of this time by yourself to relax and recharge for the 2nd half of your day
- The drive home from work. Reflect and recharge to prepare for the kids…remember to keep the radio off to relax your mind
- Right after the kids go to bed. Take 10 minutes to just sit and do nothing…relax
- You fill-in this time slot
Hopefully you will still have your daily sanity at this point in the evening to accommodate your spouse’s needs and also take time for yourself to wind down and prepare for the next day. Before you know it, it’s a new day and time to be the “Family Time Master” all over again.